Tina, Kimi, Nida, Eva, Me and Deanne

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Market or Grocery Store

So, my hubby always says he has to go to the Market.  Today I finally asked him why he uses that word.  He said he grew up using the word Super Market.    I told him that if he were in Utah and said the word "market" some people might think he meant something like the "farmers market." I told Hubby that we used the word "grocery store." Hubby said that word was used when referring to a Mom and Pop store.

I had to laugh at this because I was so "bugged" whenever he used the word Market. Now it won't bother me as much since he explained why he uses this word. \

I like to think  that MY word choice is always correct!  WRONG!!  Don't we all have words or sayings that we grew up with and use that might be different from the next person?

I had a sore neck the other day, probably from sleeping funny.  I posed in FB that I had a "crick" in my neck. I then asked if this was even a word. My friend who is living in Utah, wrote a comment back to me that "crick" is definitely a word used in Utah.  Well, my own father used that word, as did my grandmother and uncle, to mean "creek."  Creek = a small amount of water, flowing down stream.    Crick = a small amount of water, flowing downstream or a sore neck.

See what I mean?!?!?!

Well, there you have it.  A simple question ends up as a post on my blog.  Crick or creek, market or grocery store.  It's all the same!!

Aloha,
Stephanie

3 comments:

  1. They call it a crick but they just pronounce it wrong because it's spelled the same way. Creek. They are wrong! :) Kurt would call the theater the Movie house and it killed me! I told him it sounded like something my grandma would say and that is where he got it from. He hasn't called it that in years, thank goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I remember when Cherie and I would always cringe when Joe said "market". It reminds me of Mack and the word Vegas. I tend to pronounce it like its spelled. Mack says the "Ve-" part supposed to be said like "Vay". Whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys are so silly. I like calling things different names than the majority. i.e. lollies for lollypops... I say market and I like it! I did have a neighbor kid ask me what I was talking about. I felt good that I could educate them on another possible word choice.☺

    ReplyDelete